Bipasha200

a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

Post 2: Beller & Hustvedt

Filed under: Uncategorized — bipasha255 at 10:56 pm on Wednesday, September 1, 2010

“Nothing But Net”, Thomas Beller

Beller’s experience on his local basketball court, his memories and his part in saving the court from being destroyed reminded me about the time my neighborhood and community helped save our local library from being shut down.  I found it interesting how from talking about one thing (saving the park) he goes back in time to a whole other memory, and then comes back to wrap up the story he had initially began to tell. It just came to show his connection with this park and how much it meant to him. I think a person who is not from NYC could still read and understand where Beller is coming from and engage with the reading. It’s a cultural thing which I believe exists in all neighborhoods all over the world. If there is something close to people’s hearts and it is in the process of being taken away, those people will do anything they can to prevent that. His first person point of view did attract and grab my attention but I really did not like his writing style. I felt as if he was all over the place, as if jotting down while thinking. I did not feel like he was reflecting upon his experience as well as he probably could have. However, I knew what he was getting at and I did get the point he made in the end and was able to understand his emotions (to an extent) as well as be able to relate to the situation as well.

“Look Away”, Siri Hustvedt

“Pretend it isn’t happening.” This phrase literally made me laugh out loud because ALL US NEW YORKERS DO IT! See someone you know walking towards you on campus but you’re in a rush, and if you stop to say ‘hi’ a conversation might occur, so let’s just pretend we didn’t see the person and walk away poking away at our phone! I`m sure everyone has done something of that sort at least once in their life (I know I have). Hustvedt does a great job at depicting life in New York City with all the examples she includes. I was able to relate to all of them from living in NYC all my life and witnessing those and much more. Unlike Beller’s essay, this essay would be more difficult for people who are not from New York City to interpret and get a hold of. Just like Hustvedt was shocked at many instances when she first moved to New York City, people from outside are also startled at first instance. Different cities and countries have their own culture and custom and it’s necessary to adapt to other the culture of other cities when there; which is what Hustvedt did after her move. I enjoyed reading Hustvedts essay more than Beller’s because I felt her first person point of view had much more details and rhetorical remarks. Her reflection was very descriptive and she engaged me in her reading through her writing style. Overall, her essay was  well-written, and her one phrase: “pretend it isn’t happening”, I have to share with my friends!

No Comments

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.